Céline Dion Prepares for Major Stage Return After Years-Long Battle With Stiff-Person Syndrome

Céline Dion is preparing for one of the most significant comebacks of her career, returning to full-length concerts after years spent battling a rare neurological condition that left her in chronic pain and, at times, barely able to walk.
The 58-year-old singer is scheduled to begin a five-week residency at Paris’ La Défense Arena on Sept. 12. The initial run will feature 16 performances through Oct. 17, followed by another 10 shows in May 2027.
Ahead of her return, Dion has opened up about the true extent of her struggle with Stiff-Person Syndrome, revealing in an emotional Harper’s Bazaar profile that symptoms began many years before she finally received a diagnosis in 2022.
Dion says symptoms began 17 years before her diagnosis

Although Dion publicly revealed her diagnosis in 2022, she had reportedly been experiencing symptoms for 17 years.
Stiff-Person Syndrome is an extremely rare, incurable neurological condition believed to affect only one or two people per million. It can cause severe muscle stiffness and spasms, along with problems involving balance and seizures.
For Dion, the effects became particularly debilitating. She has previously revealed that some of her spasms were powerful enough to cause broken ribs, while her mobility deteriorated to the point that walking could become extremely difficult.
“It is a progressive condition. I don’t like to say ‘disease,’” Dion told Harper’s Bazaar, explaining that she remains in constant motion as part of her efforts to manage a condition that can cause her muscles to suddenly freeze.
Her treatment has included medication, physical therapy, vocal therapy and immunotherapy. With no FDA-approved treatment specifically available for the condition, Dion’s foundation has also donated $2 million toward research into autoimmune neurological disorders.
An intensive training program ahead of her comeback

Dion has spent months preparing physically for the demands of performing complete concerts again.
According to the profile, she now completes 90-minute Pilates sessions three times each week and takes ballet classes with a local company twice a week.
Her progress is striking considering the intense pain and mobility problems she has endured. During her training, Dion was described stretching with one leg raised on a ballet barre and moving into a wide split as she worked to rebuild her strength.
The singer said she wants her upcoming performances to reflect how much she has missed connecting with her audience.
“It’s been so long, I would like to offer them something to show how I’ve missed them,” she said.
Her Paris Olympics performance offered a glimpse of what remained
Dion has performed only once during the past six years.
That appearance came at the 2024 Paris Olympics, when she delivered Édith Piaf’s “Hymne A L’Amour” from the Eiffel Tower. The emotional performance demonstrated that her signature voice remained intact despite everything she had endured.
Returning for multiple full-length concerts, however, presents a considerably greater physical challenge.
Dion previously canceled a North American tour in 2022 and later called off her 2023-2024 European dates because of the effects of Stiff-Person Syndrome.
Why Céline Dion disappeared from public view
Dion’s health problems intensified around the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, when her condition had still not been diagnosed.
She subsequently withdrew from public life and remained largely out of sight for three years. Part of her concern was that fans might mistakenly believe she was enjoying her life while repeatedly canceling performances.
For Dion, being transparent with the people who had supported her throughout her career became deeply important.
“They paid for tickets,” she said. “They bought my records. They gave me that luxury. So the least I can do is tell them that I’m alive.”
She eventually gave audiences a much more intimate look at her health battle through the 2024 documentary I Am: Celine Dion and a one-hour NBC special.
During that period, Dion also revealed just how desperate she had once become for relief. She said she had taken dangerously high, near-lethal doses of Valium while attempting to control anxiety, seizures and severe muscle spasms.
Her new concerts are being designed as a major spectacle
Dion’s team is now preparing a production intended to showcase the different sides of the singer audiences have known throughout her career.
Annie Horth, Dion’s head of wardrobe and creative adviser, described the upcoming show as “grandiose.”
“She goes from intimate and romantic to a vocal powerhouse, so we are creating something where she navigates that,” Horth explained.
Adele also reflected on Dion’s influence, telling the magazine that her own “love for ballads is definitely a direct pass down from her.”
“She’s dramatic, and I love being a drama queen,” Adele added.
For Dion, however, the comeback is about more than returning to the stage. After years dominated by pain, uncertainty, treatment and rehabilitation, she is determined to focus on the life she can still live rather than what her condition has taken away.
“Instead of questioning life, can you live life?” Dion said.
Her answer was emphatic: “So I’m living my life, girl. I’m living the life.”